Monday, May 10, 2010

The 3-D details

I want to share with you a project that I have wanted to put together for awhile. I was recently issued a challenge to think "outside the box", so here it is, my finished 3-D Shadow Box!
Our youngest grandson is a rather busy little fella and so when I take photos of him, he is all over the place. This day when he and his sister were playing in the rain was no exception. I love to cut images out in silhouette so I thought this was the perfect time and a great way to show off some of that extra energy he has by using a few different poses from this day.


I want to go into a little detail to help you see the dimension I was able to create in my shadow box and it was so fun to use these particular Nikki Sivils Scrapbooker products to make my finished project adorable.
I basically have four layers. The little bee print paper is my background layer and some of the clouds are on that layer too. I cut the grass with scissors from the Butterfly Rest patterned paper. I just love this green piece, it can be so many different things and here it is my grass. One of the layers of the grass is also on the first or background layer. This cut out figure is the most foremost piece in my box. The bottom portion of him has one layer of foam tape, the portion under the umbrella has three layers of foam tape.
I took this photo so that you could "look down inside" at my layers. The full cut-out figure of my granddaughter holding her brothers hand has one layer of foam tape behind that to form the second layer.
The second strip of grass has two layers of foam tape pieces so that forms the third layer in my box. Notice how I placed the cut out figures of my granddaugher and her brother in between the grass and on top of some of it too.
When I mention my layers of foam tape, I am meaning that I am using these great little squares from 3L so I placed one piece on my figure, I remove the little protective paper that is on it and then place another piece of the foam tape on top of that. For three layers, I, of course, peel off that second protective layer and place another piece of foam tape on top of that. In the above photo, you can see behind the top umbrella, the three pieces of foam tape piled on top of each other.
I cut strips from the Bee Strips paper to accent the top, border of my box. The clouds are even added in layers and I hand cut my big raindrops. The raindrops are coated with the Aleene's Paper Glaze so they look wet. I added Glitter 3-D Fashion Paint by Tulip to some of the clouds for a slight glitter look.

So don't just save your photos for scrapbook layouts, try to think outside of the box to other ways to highlight them.

Thanks for visiting, Linda Beeson

RAINY DAY 3-D SHADOW BOX
Materials list:
Wooden shadow box – Provo Craft
Cardstock – Core Essentials/Core’dinations
Patterned papers – Bee 2 Bee, Bee Strips, Day Dreamer: Willow Bee Collection and Butterfly Rest: Flaming Butterfly Collection/Nikki Sivils Scrapbooker
Glitter 3-D Fashion paint/Tulip
Clear Paper Glaze – Aleene’s®
Sandpaper
Foam tape – 3M

20 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

OMYGOSH!!! Linda!! This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee those adorable photos and loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how U made the 'grass'!!! WOW WOW WOW!! Happy Mothers Day too! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Scrapamum said...

This is absolutely FABULOUS! I love it! I love all of it!

Nathalie said...

LINDA!!!!!!!!!! This is so so cool! It is simply amazingly cool!!!! I LOVE it!!!!

Dale Tiernan said...

It really does look like a proper scene. You've done very well.

Monique Liedtke said...

This is terrific, gorgeous!!! Thanks for this wondeful idea!!

craftymomma said...

i love it! great idea!

craftymomma said...

I Love it!!! great idea!

Ria Maningat-Mojica said...

Love it!!!!

Jocelyn said...

Oh My Goodness...this is beyond Amazing!!!! I just adore it!!! In fact I was off today to pick up a few more shadow boxes and now I am totally inspired!!!!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of ART!!!

Carin McDonough said...

Wow that is gorgeous! I love the all the dimension and the photos you have used, you can almost see him bouncing all over!

Nikki said...

Outstanding!! Really.... this is amazing!! I want to make one too!

Ilene said...

Love how it turned out!! This would be great to hang on a wall in some really prominent spot!

Deana said...

Ok, now that is just the CUTEST thing I've ever seen! You've knocked it outta the park, once again, Linda! FANtastic! :-)

Jeff and Pia Lopez said...

Perfectly done! Love it!

scrappermimi said...

This is such a cool project!

Unknown said...

Oh my WORD Linda,this is absolutely AMAZING!!!! So many awesome details you put into this, I just can't stop looking at it!!! Fabulous work!!!

janis said...

this is just jaw-dropping awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tere Azua said...

WOW!!!
Is is absolutely amazing. Love all the beautiful touches. Really, really cool!

Jennifer Matott (Sigmagirl) said...

That is so cute! LOVE the 3d effect! Just perfect with those papers too!!!

Vicki Chrisman said...

HOLY MOLY LINDA!!! This is just totally adorable! Now that's thinking "outside" (inside lol) the box! Love it!

01 09 10