Saturday, October 2, 2010

it's a bootiful Saturday, everyone!

Hey everyone! It's Leah, blogging a bootiful Saturday here in sunny south Florida! We finally felt our very first change in the weather just yesterday, and believe me - we were ecstatic! Even though we don't get to experience the typical autumn weather here, I still like to keep up a lot of the traditions that I grew up with living in the midwest, so we've been enjoying pumpkin muffins, carmel corn and leaf shaped sugar cookie cutouts... and yes, the boys have already chosen their Halloween costumes! Since we look forward to Halloween around here sooo much, I thought I'd share a few projects made with Nikki's Bootiful line!

First up, a layout about our little cutie when he was just about 18 months. {I have to admit, this was one of my all time fave costumes! But then, I've always been a Pooh fan...}

And a cute idea if you're having a costume party this year:

Who wouldn't want to win first prize when you could get a badge like that?!

And one more thing, a fun home decor project:
Here are a few close-ups to get a better peek!

In this one, you can see a bit of the detail - like the glossy finish on the frame inside, and the crackle on the base of my "wreath".

I thought I'd give a little diy on how to make this in case anyone is interested! The base for the wreath is, quite simply, a piece of corrugated cardboard that I cut out by using a dinner plate!

Then traced the smaller salad plate to create the middle:
Covered with crackle medium and black paint:
{Waited FOREVER for them to dry!}To get this:
I really love that aged, broken, grunged up look for Halloween... don't you? While I waited, I cut my circles to make all the rosettes. I actually added some larger 6" circles later, to create the big flowers
Distressed them up:
And created all the rosettes. I didn't include instructions for the flowers, since these have been floating around EVERYWHERE for about the last year or so, but if you'd like I can put that together as well!

After making a bunch, I started attaching them to my wreath base using a hot glue gun. Always start with your largest pieces first:

And fill in with the smaller:
Then decorate how you'd like! I drew the banner free-hand, cut it out and added my greeting, then creating the hanging ornament inside using my diecut machine and some fun cutouts from Nikki's papers!

Finished! It goes great with the haunted house the boys put together!

Hope you enjoy lots of fun autumn activities today! Be sure to post if you have any questions, and I'll try to peek back to give answers!






15 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwww! These are ALL FABULOUS Leah!! I love love love love that wreath!!! WOW! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

jill said...

My newest Favourite Halloween decoration has GOT to be that wreath -- LOOOOOOOOVE it!!!!! I will definitely be making one of those for my daughter's school teacher -- how fun!!!! It's just that my flowers never turn out as great as everyone else's -- do you have a special trick for keeping them together??? My seem to fall apart on me. What kind of glue do you use?

Erika M. said...

Amazing creations!

A Sarasota said...

what an awesomely Bootiful wreath!!!

kitsNbits said...

Great wreath Leah!! love it

Scrapamum said...

Absolutely FABULOUS!!!

Jennifer Yates said...

blown away girl! LOVE it!!!

leah said...

Hey, Jill!! I'm so glad you love the project! I totally know what you mean on the flowers - they tend to unroll really quickly. I definitely recommend using a hot glue gun for them. It's the easiest way to get that great look for sure!

Unknown said...

Leah! That wreath rocks!!! Fabulous job girl!

Unknown said...

Oh, and thanks for the glue gun tip. I was just thinking all those flowers must have been a pain, but I am going to try using a glue gun next time - just ask Nikki how much I "love" them - not, but I will do it for the same of flowers!

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

Wow! What an amazing spooky wreath! and I love the haunted house too! Adorable layout! My fave costume was when my oldest was 2, he was Tigger :)
TFS! hugs, margie

Mel said...

Wow I so wish we got to celebrate Halloween over here, looks like so much fun, all these projects are just gorgeous. Melxx

Monika said...

Oh this is so cool! I love it! I was actually thinking of something like this but now I got a bit more inspiration!

hilde janbroers said...

this is amazing!!! I love those flowers! And yes, I would love a instruction...;-)

leah said...

thanks, hilde! I found a really great one here: http://dozidesign.blogspot.com/2008/05/paper-flower-tutorial.html

She does sa perfect job with her photos and all! Good luck!

01 09 10