Tuesday, April 17, 2012

From antique washboard to Message Board!

Hi everyone!!

One thing you may not know about me is I love to go antiquing! Well lately, I have been scouring my local antique store for an old fashioned wash board... I kept seeing ones with too high of a price tag, or the wood was broken etc...and then one day, I FINALLY found ONE!! It was $10 and in perfect condition!! I turned it into a message board using the Nikki's MESSAGES collection!!! And Nikki has some AMAZING cross promos going on right now and so on this project I used in some twine from The Twinery, some Basically Bare bits, a pearl from Want2Scrap, Beacon's Fast Finish Decoupage and Beacon's Zip Dry!!

Here is a step by step on how I created this!

Here is what I started out with - my old fashioned washboard and I also found a vintage spelling tablet for $1!!


First I painted the washboard and then added Beacon's Fast Finish decoupage to  protect the paint from scratches etc...

 Then I covered the little spelling tablet in the Messages papers and glued magnets to the back of it to go on the metal part of the washboard (I also added magnets to the back of everything that's on the metal part of the washboard!) I used Beacon's Zip Dry to glue on my magnets - 

And here is the finished project --


And some close ups --

This is the front of the spelling tablet now - I added some twine from The Twinery to it!

And the inside of the spelling tablet --


The bottom section I again used twine from The Twinery and banners from the Messages collection --

The clouds are from Basically Bare --

I added Velcro dots to hold my mini-sharpies on here --

The gears are from Basically Bare and I added Nikki's Messages papers to them --

The bird is also from Basically Bare and again I added the Messages papers to it, and then added a pearl from Want2Scrap for the eye --

And here is a card I made for my BFF using the Exit Here collection!

 


And I was inspired by my fellow DT member Deana when she used the Exit Here papers to make a mini -- so I decided to make one too!! My family and I went to Disneyland last month, and I wanted to make a quick little mini to share some of my photos of our trip!  I also used a light coat of Beacon's Fast Finish decoupage on each page before I embellished it, to make the papers more sturdy!










Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Melissa said...

Love every single one of them Julie! Added on my to do list for today --> ANTIQUING!!! thanks for the inspiration :D

Tracee said...

Fab projects! Love the washboard, would love to find one of these! Tx

Laurel said...

What absolutely amazing projects!

Stacy said...

Totally amazing projects Julie!!! Love that message board, and well you know i'm digging the mini album :):)

Melanie said...

Such an awesome projects, Julie! That is just genius :)

You card and mini are super cute, too!!

Cindy deRosier said...

That mini album is great!!

Kim said...

Great projects Julie!!!

Jodi said...

SUCH AMAZING PROJECTS THIS MONTH!!! WOW... love how you altered the msg board!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE both of these projects, Julie!!!!!

Deana said...

Awesome projects and I love that you made a mini!!! Cuteness!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous projects Julie! You are so creative!

Caroline said...

WOW $10 no way, every time i see one they are like $60 (NZ) so jealous. Love your mini album, i can't believe we will be there in 16 sleeps :)

Mary Pat Siehl said...

awesome projects julie!! so fun!!

misty said...

Great projects!

Michelle H. said...

Love your projects very cool and amazing!!

01 09 10